Center of Training on Independent Living for Disabled people of PERPATO
PERPATO Association provides a complete program of social care and protection services for people with Mobility problems. Through the Day center this program is applied for the 21 beneficiaries which we hope to increase.
Center of Training on Independent Living for Disabled people of PERPATO provides the 21 beneficiaries with the following services:
- Transportation for the beneficiaries with a specially configured-accessible van followed by a trained carrier that will ensure their safe transportation from and to their houses.
- Daily routines and care tailored to their needs
- Providing small meals that include fruits in season.
- Support counseling sessions, conducted in order to settle any medical needs but also interventions when necessary for all beneficiaries.
- Physical therapy sessions conducted in our Day Center where all the necessary equipment is provided.
- Occupational therapy sessions either in our gym or physiotherapy room depending on the schedule and equipment required for each beneficiary.
- Psychological support for beneficiaries and their families.
- Individual and group exercise programs but also interactive programs for skill development on daily activities that require the use of wheelchair and transfers. The activities mentioned above are conducted either in our gym or to a specially modified room where there is all of the required equipment.
- Creative work programs /arts and crafts. The program is conducted in our occupational therapy room.
- Social support and integration in to the community by:
- Outings in the city (coffee shop, museums, exhibitions, etc.)
- Participation in cultural events around the city.
- Participation in different events organized by local authorities, talking with students, and university students through their visits and internships.
- Attendance in outdoor activities like boccia and Paralympic shooting in SEFAA
The supporting programs that enrich the weekly routines of the beneficiaries are :
- Computer training
- Arts and crafts
Which intent to entertain the beneficiaries but also develop communication skills and fulfill basic needs for socialization and intervention in the general population.
Center of Training on Independent Living for Disabled people of PERPATO working hours are 9:00 – 17:00.
The goals of operation of Center of Training on Independent Living for Disabled people of PERPATO are:
- Promoting independence and self-care through improvement of functionality, abilities and dynamic of people with disabilities .
- Improvement of social skills and cultivation of team.
- Encouragement to participate in free time activities happening in the community.
- Ensuring quality of life for people according to their own needs and wants.
- Prevention of institutionalization and stigma against people with disabilities.
- Elimination of stereotypes and discrimination but also support system for social integration.
- Defending their individual and social rights.
- Hygienic, comfortable and safe stay for people with disability.
- Medical care and appropriate pharmaceutical treatment tailored in their specific needs.
- Appropriate entertainment and participation for every beneficiary in social events according to their wants and needs.
KEADA- Center for Training on Autonomy of Disabled People
KEADA is a center that trains people with impairments and anyone who assists them (if they need assistance) to live as independently as possible.
It began its action thanks to the valuable contribution of Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) and it has been officially operating since 2012.
KEADA is housed in the facilities of “Perpato” Association in Komotini; more specifically, the premises consists of two floors with three rooms on each floor which have the capacity of hosting 3-4 people each. Although every room is accessible to everyone with a mobility impairment, their aesthetics remain simple since Perpato doesn’t aim to become a place where someone will want to stay for a long time and “settle in".
Its purpose is to provide the perspective of an independent life for every person with a mobility impairment. Living independently means that the desires of the person are based on their capabilities on a daily basis without the initiative of other people.
KEADA aims to function as a point which provides skills and knowledge referring to autonomy & IL for every disabled person (or not) interested, but also as a stepping stone after the rehabilitation center on issues such as impairment and personal desires one may have as a personality. In this way, it provides the opportunity for disabled people to choose and control their way of living on a daily basis so they will be able to avoid institutionalisation either at home or in an institutional placement in the future.
There is a variety of benefits that can be received by a trainee in accordance with their impairment and wishes.
Including the contact with an Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Gymnast, Social Worker, Psychologist, Nurse, Doctor (Physiatrist, Orthopedist, Neurologist, Urologist, etc.), other Disabled Persons of different, similar or the same impairments, Personal Assistants and also persons having recruited Personal Assistants.
Meanwhile, one is able to get a taste of social or sports activities. For example, hydrotherapy sessions in the sea or the pool, canoe-kayaking on the river, sea and lake, para-alpine skiing on the snow, the majority of Paralympic sports, activities about dance, theater, cinema, music and art, the use of handbike and of course the freedom to tour around Komotini, that is considered as one of the most wheelchair-accessible cities in Greece, especially after its EU Access City Award 2020 distinction.